Monday, February 5, 2018

The Boss Baby - 1 nomination



Animated Feature - Tom McGrath and Ramsey Naito

The Boss Baby is nominated for an Academy Award.  Take that in for a second.  From now on, this film must be called "Oscar nominated film, The Boss Baby."  Now that you've wrapped your head around that, I'll tell you about the movie.

There are two kinds of babies.  Corporate executive babies and regular family babies.  (Stay with me.)  Corporate executive babies have determined that all babies are being undermined by Puppy Co in an attempt to usurp all cuteness factor to puppies alone, thereby displacing human babies in the process.  Now, I have a little niece named Leni, and when I tell you there is no puppy cuter than she is and so all babies need not worry, I'm telling you the key to undermining this film.  But I digress.

Meanwhile on earth, little Tim is having a great life with his parents.  Much to his chagrin, the boss baby (voiced ruthlessly and perfectly by Alec Baldwin) arrives in his home, stealing away much of his parents' valuable attention.  When he figures out that this baby is not like other babies, he sets out to prove that the boss baby is not who he appears to be.  Tim digs into the sibling rivalry, until the boss baby shares that he must ruin Puppy Co's evil plans in just two days at the Pet Convention.  Working together, they do more than they ever expected.

Much to my chagrin, I have to tell you the truth... I found this film to be delightful.  The premise is screwy, the idea is dumb, but there's something about a hard talkin' baby in a suit that is just irresistible.  Look for Oscar's host Jimmy Kimmel voicing the dad! What can I tell you?  Cookies are for closers.


No comments:

Post a Comment