Friday, March 26, 2021

Pieces of a Woman - 1 nomination


Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Vanessa Kirby 

This is a tough one to describe without revealing important parts of the story, so I'll be general in my description of the film.  Vanessa Kirby plays Martha who is about to have a baby with husband Sean (Shia LeBeouf).  It is a very specific birth plan for a home birth with a doula, who unexpectedly is delayed due to another lengthy birth, and she sends another trusted and experienced doula in her place. I'm cautious to reveal too much, because the tension of the story should be experienced without knowing the outcome, but needless to say, it's a film and so there is a tragic incident with which Martha and Sean must deal with, with the support of their family.  Naturally, even those relationships are fraught and come with the regular ups and downs of family support.

Though he is not nominated, Shia LeBeouf does deserve some recognition.  I have trouble connecting with him as an actor, and so every time he delivers an amazing performance, I am somehow surprised.  Vanessa Kirby also delivers a strong performance, but frankly, I'd have nominated him over her, and I can't articulate why.

Pieces of a Woman definitely has triggers for those who may be dealing with loss and grief, and I thought it was an ok film.  Despite the high tension scenes, most of it plods along pretty slowly and is decidedly forgettable - this is not one we will be talking about next year or even next month.

Watch the trailer here.







No comments:

Post a Comment