Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Welcome Back to a Fantastic Crop of Films


The Oscars sent some resounding messages this morning, with some exciting and surprising choices. Personally, I barely slept last night worried that I would oversleep and miss seeing the nominations live.  Before we get into reviewing each individual film, let's make some overall observations about those included and those snubbed.

First, I'm sorry that The Greatest Showman got so little love from the Academy.  I loved that film - the easy and obvious categories included Original Score, Makeup and Hairstyling, Costume Design, and Production Design.  At least the song that was nominated is spectacular.  When I was in the theater and that song concluded, I leaned over to my husband and said, "that's the Oscar winner."  We'll see.

I have been predicting a screenplay nomination for Get Out since it came out, thinking that this is often a way that the Academy honors movies that aren't quite Best Pictures but are still creative and outstanding (see: In the Loop).  I'm thrilled to see it get attention, same with The Big Sick.  Get Out is significant because Jordan Peele is the first African American to be nominating for directing, producing, and writing all in the same year.  That's an accomplishment for anyone, and this film is worthy of this recognition.

People are already making a lot of Martin Mcdonagh not being nominated for 3 Billboards - a film that has a decent chance of taking Best Picture.  (Barbra Streisand, Prince of Tides anyone?)  I think the real snub is Joe Wright for The Darkest Hour that had some of the best directing this year.  But I'm still protesting the Best Picture list having more than 5 nominees.  I don't like it, I've never liked it, I'm waiting for it to get back in line with the rest of the categories.  Last year was the single year since the revival of "up to 10" options that I couldn't pick an obvious 5 that would be the nominees. This year, it wouldn't be easy, but it could be done.

One nomination that truly pleases me is Woody Harrelson for Best Supporting Actor.  I know Sam Rockwell has gotten all of the attention, but I thought this was some of Harrelson's best work in 3 Billboards, and I'm delighted to see him nominated.

There's a lot more diversity among the nominees this year, but we all have to be thrilled to see Rachel Morrison receive the first ever nomination for a woman cinematographer.  This is not particularly about the recognition, but also about more women receiving behind the scenes jobs to even have the opportunity to be nominated.  And, if you really want to enjoy a moment, you have to love that Jacqueline Durran is competing against herself, having received a nomination for her work in Beauty and the Beast AND for her work in The Darkest Hour.

I have a lot more to say about each individual film, but that's to be savored over the next 5 weeks.

Finally, I do this blog solely for the love of the Oscars and to share that love with you.  I would be most grateful for any support, posting, reposting, retweeting that you would be inclined to do over the coming weeks.  If you like a blog post, or if you like the blog, please become a follower, or follow me on Twitter so you don't miss a single post!  (@jodibee)

Welcome back film lovers - this is going to be a great Oscars season!  (and now, to get some sleep!)

No comments:

Post a Comment