Thursday, February 6, 2020

Ad Astra - 1 nomination


Best Achievement in Sound Mixing - Gary RydstromTom JohnsonMark Ulano

Friends, I have to tell you, I watched this entire movie and I still don't totally understand what it was about.  Brad Pitt (soon to be Academy Award winner, Brad Pitt) plays a talented astronaut Roy McBride who has been given a top secret mission to find his father's (also an astronaut) lost in space mission because it is about to destroy the planet.  He undertakes the dangerous mission with some assistance from Donald Sutherland, who plays another astronaut who knew McBride's father.  There is all manner of space danger, and there are some exciting (yet extremely random) obstacles that must be overcome in order for him to be successful.  Then, more totally random things happen and then the movie is over.

Honestly, this was the most disjointed film of the entire Oscars list this year, and there were so many moments that I had to watch a second time because they had no set up and no context.  They just happened.  

I can certainly see why the film is nominated for sound mixing, there are so many pieces of sound layered over one another, but I'm starting to think that maybe these nominees should come from movies that higher than a 40% rating on Rotten Tomatoes (yes, yes, I know that's an extremely impractical proposal, and impossible to execute).  I'm tired of having to watch mediocre (and in this case bad) movies just because they are technically excellent.

If you loved Ad Astra (and if you did, wow, good for you), I recommend reverting to last year's Oscars and watch First Man.  A much much better space film with more gravitas in the credits roll than this film had in its entire story.

Watch the trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment