Monday, February 10, 2020

Oscars Wrap Up!


That's it for another glorious year at the Oscars.  As it did last year, the hostless Oscars worked for me!  Janelle Monae, y'all.  Steve Martin and Chris Rock (who, when they came out I immediately said, "they've both hosted before.  Oscars historian - boom!) and Maya Rudolph and Kristen Wiig and James Corden and Rebel Wilson and EMINEM.  Great surprises.  The Idina Menzel jokes were amazing.  The midway show rap!  Ok, all of it.  I loved it.  I found it highly entertaining.  

And I loved that they didn't play off the speeches.  Let the people talk (especially when one jerk takes up all 45 seconds and suddenly is like, oh ok, you can talk too.) Did you find that the best of the speeches came at the end when they stopped thanking people and got to the why of making art?  (Marshall Curry!)

Let's go to the awards.

Best Picture:
Well, they called it.  An International Feature film has won the Best Picture Oscar.  It was just too original.  And I'm guessing Bong Joon Ho has one hell of a hangover today.

Lead Actor:
Joaquin Phoenix (Joker) was the most lucid I've ever seen him.  What a beautiful speech and well deserved award.

Lead Actress:
Renee Zellweger, also a lovely speech.  But both Joaquin and Renee need to take my advice, as do all other Oscars nominees.  There are 5 people in the entire world of people who are nominated for your award.  WRITE THE FUCKING SPEECH DOWN.  It would save time, the long pauses, and I can guarantee that when you are writing it down, your heart won't be racing and your ears won't be ringing and you won't be freaking out that you just won an Oscar.  OK?

Supporting Actor:
Of course, Brad Pitt.  Good on ya, Brad.

Supporting Actress:
Laura Dern - and her mom Diane Ladd was there with her!  What an acting dynasty.  She, her mom, and her dad have all been nominated for multiple Oscars.  Take that, Academy.

Director:
Bong Joon Ho - this is when we started to have an inkling that it was Parasite's night.  And each time he spoke, he said such beautiful things.  I bet Martin Scorcese feels like he won something last night too.

Original Screenplay:
Parasite wins again, and I have to tell you... it's not often that the Best Picture also wins a screenplay award.  It's like the voters are saying, "you're both pretty."

Adapted Screenplay:
Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi please see notes above about writing down your speech.  This guy who had no words is a writer.  But I loved the movie and the child actors who came to the Oscars looked adorable in their tuxedoes.

Animated Feature:
Well, I would have had at least one more correct if I hadn't gone with my heart, but Toy Story 4 wins.  But please please watch Klaus on Netflix!

Documentary Feature:
American Factory - which again, is on Netflix.  It's a must see.

International Feature:
Parasite, a sweeper! (almost)

Original Score:
Joker - and I just knew that one would win.  That score was incredible.  But they all were.

Original Song:
I'm Gonna Love Me Again... love to see Bernie Taupin win his first Oscar but it really should have been Stand Up from Harriet, don't you think?  Or at least Til it Happens to You from The Hunting Ground (from 2 years back, I'm still mad.)

Sound Editing:
Ford v Ferrari - well, the winner is often the one with the Best Picture momentum when it's relevant, so I thought perhaps it would be 1917, but 1917 didn't have the momentum I thought it did!

Sound Mixing:
1917 - look it up, this award is won a lot by war movies.  It's a fact!

Makeup and Hairstyling:
Seriously Bombshell was a lock.  Now I'm not sure if Charlize Theron is Megyn Kelly or visa versa!

Costume Design:
If you read yesterday's blog, the winner is often the film that is portraying the farthest back in time.  Late 1800's was the winner.

Cinematography:
This is the real reason to see 1917.  I don't know how they did it but that movie was shot in what appears to be real time.  HOW?????

Production Design:
Groovy, baby.  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood wins as everyone thought it would.  I mean, the Ranch!  Manson history buffs will tell you, they must have shot on location.

Film Editing:
Ford v Ferrari - it's worth noting that FvF was only nominated for 4 Oscars and it won 2.  Not a bad night.  ("I have a Ford and I have a Ferrari.  It's no contest."  Chris Rock)

Visual Effects:
1917 - and I'm sorry, NO.  Watch Avengers End Game or even Star Wars.  You're gonna tell me a war movie had better effects?  No way.  I reject.

Documentary Short:
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (if you're a girl) is the winner, but I must ask you to watch Life Overtakes Me on Netflix.  If you're not ashamed of how we are holding children in cages after that, you can declare yourself soul-free.

Live Action Short:
The Neighbor's Window - I recommend seeing all of the live action shorts.  They were all excellent.

Animated Short:
Hair Love!!!!!!!  It was my favorite of all the films in the entire list.  Yes yes yes!

And that's a wrap for another year.  Thanks for reading, thanks for following, I'll see you at the movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment