Saturday, February 26, 2022

Spencer - 1 nomination

 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Kristen Stewart

The Windsors are crashing. The entire Royal family has gathered at the royal estate to celebrate Christmas.  Meanwhile, Princess Diana has reached her limit - she can no longer pretend that her marriage has any or ever had any love, and the corporation isn't happy.  As she slowly deteriorates throughout the weekend, it becomes clearer and clearer that she can survive this, and her internal mental state is declining as her eating disorder is increasing.  It seems like a straightforward story, but takes these bizarre detours into Diana's strange imagination, only reinforcing that one can never know what is real and what is deranged fantasy.

Stewart has been at the front of this Oscars race for months now.  And I thought her performance was chillingly good, but I think once you've seen Elizabeth Debicki play Princess Diana in The Crown, it's hard to see anyone else in the role.  I liked the film but I can't quite put my finger on what was missing for me.  It's now streaming online, so definitely worth seeing what all the buzz is about.


Want more movie talk? Subscribe to my podcast, 2 Movie Jews everywhere you get podcasts.






No comments:

Post a Comment