Sunday, February 27, 2022

tick, tick... BOOM! - 2 nominations

 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Andrew Garfield
Best Achievement in Film Editing
Myron Kerstein
Andrew Weisblum

We have arrived at MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF THE YEAR.  Let me remind you that it is almost impossible for me to rank order movies from best to worst, I'm generally entertained by most films so saying something is awesome is not a rarity, and the way my brain works, picking one favorite thing in any genre (favorite food, favorite movie, favorite Disneyland ride, etc.) almost never happens.  With tick, tick... BOOM! this was the easiest decision of the year.

First, some context.  It happens that my family has an association with the Larson family, and I share this only to say that I spent the better part of 2001 listening to the original cast recording any time I was in my car.  I know all the songs by heart even though I had never actually seen the show staged.  Those of you who listen to my podcast "2 Movie Jews" will know that this was my most highly anticipated film of the year.

Then, our national treasure Lin Manuel Miranda released this beauty into the wild on Netflix, and my heart exploded.  Andrew Garfield was magnificent (and ps, he LEARNED TO SING for this film... SAY WHAT???) and though I missed a few of the original songs from the show, LMM managed to give a wink and a nod to the song cuts that just didn't work for the movie narrative. 

Attention must be paid.  There is a song in the show called "Sunday" that is a humorous revamping of a serious song from Sunday in the Park with George (another famous musical for you non-musical types).  I watched this scene multiple times, with Miranda having recruited a who's who of Broadway for this fantasy scene (Chita Rivera! Joel Grey! Bernadette Peters! And more!). If you're a musical theater fan, you'll spend half the scene shouting out names of people you recognize.

But it's important to know that the plot is about a man about to turn 30 and examining his life, his work, if he will ever be successful.  The movie is basically a biopic (with surely liberties having been taken) as Jonathan Larsen struggles his way to becoming the writer of one of the most beloved musicals in history, Rent.  There is a lovely tribute to Larsen's mentor, Stephen Sondheim, which frankly Bradley Whitford played so convincingly that I almost thought it was Sondheim himself for just a quick moment.  Larsen tragically died the night before Rent opened, and I can't think of a more fitting homage to his talent than this film.  Watch it, then watch it 10 more times.  You'll be glad you did.



No comments:

Post a Comment