Friday, March 11, 2022

Cruella - 2 nominations

 

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Jenny Beavan
Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
Nadia Stacey
Naomi Donne
Julia Vernon

I love a good prequel and this is a great one.  Cruella de Vil, notorious dalmation hunter, has an origin story and her name is Estela.  Estela is a talented, aspiring, and naive fashion designer.  Having been orphaned and left on the streets as a child, she's had to claw her way to a choice position with her idol, The Baroness, having raised herself with her trusty pals and fellow petty criminals, Horace and Jasper.

But the Baroness steals her designs and emotionally abuses Estela, and not only that, Estela figures out that the Baroness has had a hand in her own mother's death, and not only that, has stolen Estela's only connection to her mother, a precious necklace.  Estela becomes singularly focused on retrieving the necklace and it wouldn't hurt if in doing so, she can exact her own revenge.

I'm generally not a huge fan of "I was hurt so that explains how I became a villain" stories, but this one is absolutely delicious and it generally works for Disney.  The costumes are MAGNIFICENT and by all rights deserves to win this category (even if we won't see it televised).  Even if you don't see the film, I encourage you to search for the Cruella costumes on the internet, and I dare you not to be blown away.  While I didn't expect to even like this one, I loved it!


Want more movie talk? Subscribe to my podcast, 2 Movie Jews.  
Here's a link to our Oscars reactions episode! 
https://www.buzzsprout.com/1749819/10110400-oscar-2022-nominations-reactions.mp3?download=true





No comments:

Post a Comment