Saturday, March 5, 2022

Luca - 1 nomination

 

Best Animated Feature Film
Enrico Casarosa
Andrea Warren

Disney and Pixar had a series of wins this year, and Luca is no exception.  A delightful film about Luca, an Italian sea monster who discovers his legs when he is out of the water, his friendship with Alberto, another sea monster who dreams of Vespas and the adventures they bring, and their mutual relationship with Giulia, a human girl obsessed with winning a local town race, this one is adorable and worth seeing.  Set on the shores of Italy, the animated setting is magnificent, and the characters are well crafted and engaging.  As Luca spends more time out of the water, he nurtures his thirst for knowledge, and his hunger for delicious pasta (and other human delights, like gelato).  But Luca and fellow sea monster Alberto must constantly be vigilant, lest the townspeople discover that they are actually sea monsters, and lest Luca's parents discover that he and Alberto have been spending time with the humans they so abhor.

Longtime readers of the blog will remember that I have a fondness for animated features, and I've long since stopped pretending to watch these films for my friends' little kids.  I'm a Disney fan and an ardent Pixar fan (I rewatched the entire list of films last year, just for fun, and for my podcast, 2 Movie Jews), but I stand by my recommendation of this adorable film.



No comments:

Post a Comment