Tuesday, February 28, 2023

EO - 1 nomination


Best International Feature Film
Poland

Oh goodness, friends, this one really killed me. EO follows a donkey who is taken from the Polish circus and the trainer who loves him under the guise of animal protection and his adventures in the world when he escapes his "protectors." Sometimes he finds beauty and kindness in the world with people who give him care and joy, and sometimes he encounters the absolute worst of humanity. I SOBBED at this film. Now to be fair, my dog had died just a few days before I saw this film, but it is not for the faint of heart. The cruelty with which people can treat the animals with the sweet and vulnerable face is astonishing. I'm neither an animal rights activist nor even a vegetarian. But this film killed me.  I'm not sure it deserves to be in the Top 5 of the International Feature films nominated, but this movie touched my heart... and it will touch yours unless you are actually made of stone.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment